Saturday, March 31, 2012

Meeting A Pen Pal and A Friend

This past week I had the great honor of meeting in person a girl with whom I have been in correspondence for the past several months.  We had only known of each other through our blogs.  When one would comment the other would respond and small conversations ensued.  As I prayed about a partner for Experiencing God, an in-depth Bible study I wanted to undertake, she was the only person who came to mind.  I emailed her and asked if she would be interested.  Thankfully, she was.  We planned to do the study by discussing each week through email.  After four months we finished the study.  

Experiencing God is an intense Bible Study, and I would dare say that through it she knows me as well as my closest friends.  So, when one of my coworkers told me of his empty condo in downtown Chicago and invited me and Jason to go anytime, I promptly began planning a trip to Chicago so that we could meet face to face.  She came from Wisconsin and I from Ohio.  We both later confessed prayers that the other was not an ax murderer and that our meeting and spending two nights under the same roof would not be awkward.  The Lord answered our prayers as neither were true. 

Laura is a very impressive person.  She is a strong woman who has just the right balance of compassion and reason.  She is kind and patient and gives great advice.   I totally unloaded on her.  I verbally vomited about some self-image insecurities that I haven't talked to anyone about in years.  In fact, it's only been very recently that they have started to creep in.  I was also very scatter-brained at times, which embarrasses me.  All the things that my closest friends find endearing, but I that I wouldn't dare to show anyone else came out and she took it all in stride.  I really appreciated her.  On the way home I assessed what felt like a melt-down as I am usually very composed and don't generally talk about myself.  I concluded that it is because I haven't had true girl time with close friends since Jason and I moved to Ohio in August.  Apparently I was in desperate need of a girl-friend.  I think I realized for the first time just how invaluable girl-friends really are.  I thank my new friend for being so gentle and patient with me.  She allowed me to be myself, which is a compliment to the highest degree.  I had a wonderful time with her and wish we lived closer.

Meet Laura, from Life With Laura.

_DSC0576 

We arrived in Chicago at exactly the same time.  We got the key to the condo, hung out for a little while and then decided on a place to eat Chicago Style Pizza. We ended up at Pizzeria Due.  We stopped for some groceries and then returned to the condo and talked off and on while HGTV played in the back ground. 

This is a view from our condo.

photo[1]

We started the next day with the American Girl store on Michigan Ave.  Having never read the books and knowing nothing about the dolls I was pleasantly surprised at what I learned.  I now have every intention of using American Girl stories as ways to teach my kids about history and other subjects.  I will also say that Laura and I were both very impressed at the modesty of the dolls.  All of the swimsuits were tankinies and boy shorts.  None of the clothes were revealing and they all had girlish figures, unlike Bratz and Barbie, who have womanly figures.  We both picked out the dolls we felt most represented ourselves.  I chose number 24 as she had long blond curls and freckles.  Then, right before we left I saw the travel doll and had to have my picture with her.  We are SO much alike!  The store was amazing.  It was two stories and included a salon, hospital, screen printing shop, bakery and even a restaurant.  The best part was watching all the little girls with their dolls.

_DSC0393

_DSC0387

P1050980

Next was a walk to Navy Pier followed by a ride on the Farris wheel. 

_DSC0433  _DSC0451

We then visited "The Bean".

_DSC0519   _DSC0512 

Lastly we ventured out onto the Sky Deck. 

P1060077

The entire day was fabulous.  We had a great time, but by the end of it both of our feet were ready for a rest.  We ate dinner a really cute Italian place and ended the night with Frozen Yogurt and a movie.  We watched Julie and Julia, which couldn't have been more perfect as it is deals with both a blogger and a pen pal. 

The next morning we made sure the condo was better than we had found it and then parted ways once more, not sure when we will see each other again. 

Laura is a beautiful woman inside and out.  She is worth far more than rubies (Prov. 31:10) and I am blessed to call her "friend."

_DSC0496

Signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank you my friend! This is just the nicest post I've read in a long time. You are so great and I am thankful I can call you friend. Our time in Chicago was fabulous and I'm so glad I was able to share it with you. Hopefully we'll be able to meet up again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...