Thursday, March 24, 2011

How To Pack For A Weekend Get-A-Way (For The Ladies)

(I pack my husband’s suitcases, so I’ll do one for the gents sometime.)

I recently went on a trip to visit one of my best friends.  Since I was packing a suitcase, I thought I’d take the opportunity to share some tips on how to pack light.

1.  Decide on one base color and stick with it.  I chose black.  This way I only needed one pair of black flats and one pair of black high heels.  Then, you pack around that color.

2.  Take one pair of casual pants and one pair of dressier pants.  Wear one of the pairs of pants and pack the other.  I wore my comfy jeans for the airport and packed my dressier jeans (long to accommodate high heels).  

3.  Take two pairs of shoes (3 if you plan to exercise).  I wore my flats, packed my heels and should have taken a pair of tennis shoes because I ended up having to borrow a pair of hers.

4.  Pack one set of PJs.  I recommend pants that you can’t see through, a tank top or t-shirt and a long-sleeve shirt or small hoodie.  Try to avoid sweatshirts because they take up too much room.  Include a pair of cozy socks or easy-to-pack house shoes.

5.    Always pack a white tank top whether you think you will need it or not, just trust me on this one!

(Pics are for 1-5)

TPicture13

Picture11

6.  I always pack my own hairdryer (because I have a lot of hair and wimpy hairdryers don’t cut it!)

7.  Always take a pair of socks, just in case you decide to go bowling, or something.  Pack them over your straight iron, or curling iron.  They make great gloves for still hot styling tools.

8.  Buy some small travel bottles (never buy the kind with pop-top lids!  Only buy the ones with lids that screw on because the pop top lids WILL pop open during flight!) and the small round containers with lids to put your normal toiletries in, and then label them.  Don’t be afraid to pack as many of these as you need.  If they are lotions and creams they are generally fine through security.  If you get stopped, then at least you only lost 1 - 2 oz of your product, and that’s only what won’t fit in the baggy they provide.  (I’ve never been stopped for toiletries.)

(Pics are for 6-8)

Picture10

Picture9   

9.  Layer for the airport.  Airports can be hot or cold.  Airplanes are always extremely hot, or extremely cold before take-off (generally hot), and usually cold during flight.  I always layer with a shirt, a sweater and a scarf.  On more than one occasion I have used my scarf as a blanket over my legs.

10.  Wear slip-on shoes to the airport in order to speed through security.

(Pic for 9-10)

 Picture1

11-A.  If you are flying, and you are planning to check your suitcase, then buy a carry-on bag with wheels.  These are $20 at Walmart and worth every penny.

Picture7

11-B.  If you are flying, but not checking your luggage, then I recommend a light carry-on bag that you can attach to the top of your suitcase or strap on to hang off the front of it.  My suitcase has four wheels, so it’s easier for me to put bags on top.  If your suitcase only has two wheels, never put bags on top as this becomes too heavy for your forearms to pull.  See the difference below.  (Please note that the second picture is from when I was a commercial flight attendant.  I was taking out the trash and carrying two suitcases.  Because of the positioning of the bags, it was light and easy to pull and I was left with a free hand, to carry my coffee I’m sure.)

Picture 15

Luggage, Labeled 

12.  Pack a small over-the-shoulder purse in case you find yourself in a situation where you don’t want to have to carry a big bag. 

13.  Get a travel wallet that houses all your frequent traveler airline, hotel and rental car cards (sign up for as many of these as possible), your passport, an emergency credit card and some cash.

14.  Don’t forget your chargers!!!

(Pics for 11-13)

Picture5

Picture3

15.  LADIES, NOTICE THAT I DON’T CARRY A PURSE!!!  I use my carry-on bag to house all of my purse items and I pack my empty purse.  I know I said above to pack a small over-the-shoulder purse.  That is generally the only purse I pack.  However, if I want a larger purse, then I pack both.  I pack a purse that lays flat and I just put it on top of my stuff.  I feel like not carrying a purse through the airport is a safer and more comfortable way to travel. 

Picture1 

I hope you get your weekend get-a-way soon.  Happy travels!

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...