Friday, February 24, 2012

Pinning Responsibly

I was reading a friend’s blog today and she posted about how Pinterest is out of control with not crediting the source.  You can read her blog post here.  It is very good.  As is her entire blog. She talks about how annoying it is to click on a picture of beautiful food and not be able to find the original recipe.  She also covers how it is also unethical to post pictures and not give credit to the creators.  Below is the button she created.

[badpins%255B3%255D.jpg]

I posted her button on Pinterest to test it, and it didn't link to her original post. It linked to the general blog. Through this test I figured out that this is because in order to link to the specific blog post you have to be viewing that post, i.e. click on the post title and then pin from there. So, if people will start taking the time to make sure the address in the address bar is the specific post's address we will no longer find ourselves being directed to "home" pages.  This means that you don’t want to click the picture and then click “Pin It”.  You want to be looking at the entire post, click “Pin It” and then choose the picture from all the other pictures in that post.  This is the only way to start crediting people’s work and linking directly to the original blog post.

I have to admit that I am the worlds worst about this because I had never even considered it until I read her post today.  So I will starting cleaning up my pins soon.  However, because I believe in this cause I have created a new button if you would like to pass it along. 

Pin Responsibly

Signature

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...