Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thankful On Thursday – It’s Not About Me

This past Friday I had a life changing moment with God while I was driving home from the airport.  (You can read about it here.)  It might sound like I am being dramatic by using the phrase “life changing”, but I’m not.  Every true encounter with God is life changing.  It requires you to either move forward with Him, or back from Him.  This was definitely not the first life changing encounter I have had nor was it the last. I had another this morning. 

Since last Friday I have made it a point to physically get on my knees, face down, and pray as the first thing I do every morning.  It is amazing what 5-10 minutes will do to your spiritual posture when your physical posture is bowed before God.  It has been amazing to start every day in this manner.  However, today was different.  I got on my knees, put my forehead on the ground, tucked in my elbows and started silently talking to God.  Almost immediately, God spoke to me. 

(If you have never heard from God, for me it is like in old war movies when the code comes through and machines print the message on those long thin strips of paper.  It’s as if one of those is in my head.  I’m talking or thinking and out of nowhere a random message runs through my head.  It interrupts what I was saying or thinking, and all my attention is now on that message.  For me, that’s when I know God is speaking.  This might not be true for anyone else, but this is how God speaks to me, and it does take practice to know God’s voice from your own thoughts, but if you pray for God to reveal His voice to you, then you will start to hear Him.) 

He said, “It’s not about you.  I am not here for you, you are here for Me.”  and I realized that I have been saying things like, “God, I am so thankful for your presence in my life.  Thank you for what you have done for me.  Thank you for saving me… I, I, I, me, me, me, my, my, my.”  My eyes popped open, “WHOA!  Did that really just happen?”  I thought about it for a moment, letting the truth of it sink in.  I thought I needed God to save me because of my sin, I needed God to be present in my life because of my loneliness, and I needed the Holy Spirit to fill me so that I could have joy and peace in all circumstances…  But, it’s not about me and these things will only come when my life becomes all about Him.  WOW. 

It was heavy for first thing in the morning, but boy did I wake up fast.  After the few seconds of pondering that led to all of this I said, “God, it is all about you.  I am here for You.  Please, what can do to glorify You?”  As soon as the words were formed a video came to my head and I felt His thoughts in mine, “Share My glory though this.”  So, I got up and here I am, writing to you.

This is a video I found last Friday.  As soon as I got home from my life changing drive I looked up “pulsar” on You Tube to show Jason the example I had just learned about how the stars are worshiping God.  One video led to another and I found Louie Giglio taking individual songs of creation’s praise and putting them together so that we can get just a glimpse of what God hears as all of creation worships him every second of every day. 

This video is fifteen minutes, but I am BEGGING you to watch it.  I got off my knees this morning and wrote this post because I felt the God of creation telling me that you needed to hear it. 

If you want more, there are entire messages by Louie on You Tube that you can check out.  Trust me, you will never regret listening to a message by this man. 

Signature

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...