Wednesday, November 14, 2012

OU vs. TX

1

This is a HUGE weekend for University of Oklahoma and University of Texas fans.  The game was officially called the “Red River Shootout” until 2005 when it was renamed “Red River Rivalry”.  The first game played between the two schools was October 10, 1900.  The rivalry is over 100 years old and is going strong.  The game has been played on neutral territory (Dallas) since 1912.  An equal number of tickets are sold to OU and Texas fans.  It makes for a very unique experience and the energy in the stadium is at a max on both sides of the 50 yard line. 

I have only had the opportunity to attend one game, as tickets are almost impossible to get.  Even students with student tickets are entered into a raffle to determine who gets to go.  None-the-less, almost every year for the past 11 years I have been in Dallas for the game.  Students, and people younger than me, gather in lower Greenville (an area where the streets are lined with bars and restaurants) every Friday night before the game.  The streets are blocked off and there are police on horseback everywhere.  There are hundreds of 20 somethings shoulder to shoulder yelling and chanting and making either the horns down or the horns up sign.  Below is a picture I found of exactly this.  (You can click on pic for original website.)

Last year Jason and I had to miss OU/TX weekend because we were living in Ohio and we just couldn’t justify going.  So, this year since we LIVE in Dallas there was no way we were going to miss it again.  On game you have to get to wherever you are going by 9:30 AM or so if you want to get a seat.  So, yes, the beer and pizza were breakfast this year.  (In an attempt to protect my reputation, I only had 3 beers the six hours we were there.)  It was a really fun day, as you will see below.  FYI: The last picture is everyone who stayed with us checking out our 3D TV. 

  2   5 10 4  716 118 12 1713 1514 18 19 20 21 22

 

BOOMER!!!!!

Signature

1 comment:

  1. Looks like lots of fun! I am glad you were able to have fun with your friends and be in town! Now that I have my laptop back after two months I am looking forward to checking out your blog posts from when I was away! But I do not think I'll have a chance to do that until I am in Spain. Happy weekend, dear friend. And get ready to pick up where we left off in Galatians in the new year (it was Galatians we were studying, right?).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...